Thursday, May 10, 2012

Things Heard in the Classroom

I have had the privilege of substituting at a local private school this year.  While the elementary grades are the preferred grades, I have accepted almost any position offered.  While the high school students do say some things that make the substitute smile, the elementary aged children really put that smile on your face.  From time to time, I hope to share some of the things heard in the classroom.

A few weeks ago, we went to eat at a local restaurant after church.  While in the restaurant, a little boy kept running around the restaurant.  Upon seeing me, he stopped & came over to say hello.  I talked to him and asked him how school was going.  I have substituted for his third grade class before.  The lady who appeared to be in charge looked like she was a little nervous with him running around & ended up sitting him at the table with his older brother and parents.  His brother came over to the table and said, "I thought that's who you were".  We ended up talking for quite a while.  The restaurant is owned by his grandparents.  He told us, "this is my restaurant."

The next day I was subbing for the older brother's 4th grade class.  I asked him some questions about the restaurant.  His grandparents have owned it for 20 years.  "That's longer than I've been alive," was his response.  Then he said, "Did you have the famous?"  Before I could answer, he asked what I had had to eat.  "The beef liver", I replied.  He made kind of a face and then like a very polite gentleman said, "I have heard that that's very good.  But have you had the famous?"  So I asked him what the famous was.  It's the fried chicken (which is what John had had to eat).  According to him his grandfather does everything from scratch...including killing the chickens.  While I was relating this to John, we had to laugh a little.  As fast as that chicken was going, I don't think his grandfather could have killed and prepared all those chickens.  We figure he heard his grandfather joking with someone else that he had gotten up early that morning to kill the chicken.  

The next week, I spoke to his younger brother about the restaurant.  He said, "my grandfather owns the restaurant.  He's a very nice man."  

If you're ever in the area ask us if we can go get some of 'the famous' together.  I know two boys who will make you feel right at home in their restaurant.



No comments: