Monday, September 28, 2009

Will You Be My Friend?


October 11 is Friend Day at church. Junior Hill will be the guest evangelist. All adult classes are being encouraged to invite an unchurched friend. We have been given a card on which to make our commitment. At first the children's classes were not going to participate in making a commitment to invite someone. Then it was realized what a great potential that could be. Children will invite children and thus have the potential of a whole family being reached.

I had been given foam handprints for the children to make invitations. I let each child choose the color they wanted & then had them write their name on the back of the hand. That was so the friend would remember who had invited them. On the front I wrote something very similar:
"Will you come to church with me for friend day?
October 11

Indian Springs Baptist"
Then I allowed the child to decorate the hands. Some of them colored a decoration on them. I put out some little pom poms as I call them. The girls and 1 boy decorated the fingers with those. We then glued craft sticks to the back.

We didn't get this part done this past Sunday but I may attempt it this coming Sunday. I was going to give each child another handprint. They would write on the front the name of the child they had invited. Then we would stick the peel & stick magnetic strips to the back. That way they could stick the handprint on their refrigerator and pray for the friend they were inviting.

They so enjoyed making the invitation. After one little boy's mother had gone on & on about his craft & how beautiful it was (or whatever little boys' mothers say), he said," but Mama, this isn't for me. This is to give to the friend I'm inviting for friend day. I need to find someone to invite."

Will you be my friend for friend day? You can even attend my K Sunday School class & see how active my children are!

No comments: