Friday, July 12, 2024

Paper Shredder

This October 19 will be the start to my 10th year at the location I work.  Well I actually started working there the end of July but that was with a temporary agency.  When the contract period was finished, I was hired full time.  

Fast forward 3 years and my office mate had a difficult year.  She was sick at the beginning of the year.  Her mother passed away shortly after she came back to work.  Then she had appendicitis.  She was out for several weeks after her surgery.  After all that was finished, it was decided she would just stay home and not work with us anymore.  I missed her terribly but had learned to do both our jobs while she was out.

Before I came to work there, she had researched and purchased a paper shredder.  Actually the company had purchased the paper shredder.  The paper shredder did not see daily use.  Some days of use were very little.  Others were quite a bit.  Last year we started storing our documents online so I no longer needed to store those documents in folders in the file cabinet to be put in banker boxes at the end of the year and moved to storage.  I started shredding every day.

This year I noticed that shredder was sounding horrible.  I prayed the sound would stop and I would not have to purchase a shredder but the day came that I had to purchase one.  We purchase our office supplies from Quill.  I went home and for a few nights researched paper shredders and looked to see if they were available from the Quill website.  I had John look at ones to see if what I was reading was actually what the product specs were.  With a deep breath and approval from the General Manager I purchased a shredder.  This shredder has an auto feed!  I did not know shredders came with auto feeds.  You can put up to 100 sheets on the auto feed area - it takes 2-3 at a time.  The shredder has a much quieter sound than the other shredder.  The auto-feed does shred a little slower than the previous non auto-feed one but to me the value of the auto-feed outweighs the slow shredding.  I do stay close to the shredder while it is auto-feeding just in case it gets jammed.  It has happened occasionally - usually on a very humid day.

The things that make administrative assistants happy.


No comments: