Thursday, June 21, 2012

Things Heard in the Classroom

I was substituting for the 6th grade teacher who teaches Social Studies to both classes.  We were discussing the Titanic that day.  We discussed the embarking of the voyage, we imagined a little (after reading what the book said) what it might have been like to have been on the Titanic and then discussed the sinking.  The class was very interested to discover that I had been alive when the Titanic remains had been discovered.  

"What did they find?"

"I think I remember hearing they found some of the dishes that had been used."  

"What else did they find?"

I told them I was in high school and couldn't remember a big deal being made over it.  Of course we didn't have a television so I didn't see all the hype that may have been made.  (They have trouble understanding that someone could survive without a television).

Finally after me not giving them the answer they wanted they asked, "well did they find any bones?"

I hemmed and hawed for a few minutes.  "Well did they?  Did they find any skulls?"

I told them I didn't remember anything being said about that.  

Can you tell that class had more boys than girls?

No comments: