Thursday, June 7, 2012

Things Heard in the Classroom


Close to the end of the day (very close to the end of the day) a 7th grade boy expressed a sound similar to pain, frustration, etc.  I asked the boy if he were okay.  Surprised he looked at me and said, "Yes, ma'am."  

One of the girls said, "Mrs. Wagner, you should know by now that he's dramatic."  I replied that I was aware he was.  (I didn't tell her but I did want to make sure he was truly okay)

A few minutes later another student, who had been called to the office, returned to the room.  He made a big to do about opening the door and then making sure the door closed.  To return to his seat, he "had" to go between desks where there were obstacles.  So he tripped over someone's feet...which led to him kicking over a pile of books...which led to him bumping into another's desk and causing their work to fall to the floor...you get the picture.

I looked at the girl and said, "Talk about dramatic".  The whole class giggled.

The office returning student said, "what's traumatic?  Did I do something wrong?"  

I assured him he had done nothing wrong & stated we had just been talking about people who were dramatic.  He said, "oh what does that mean?"

I used his actions in getting to his seat to show him how he had been dramatic.  I ended my explanation by saying that someone who is dramatic likes to call attention to himself. 

"Oh", was his very quiet reply.

I subbed for this group of students quite a bit this year.  For several subbing days after that, he was very quiet when he came back into the room.  Toward the end of the year, he became interested in a girl.  This caused his dramatic antics to continue where he had left off. 

No comments: