Friday, June 15, 2012

Things Heard in the Classroom

While substituting for high school sometimes all one can do is crowd control.  I give the assignment & also write it on the board.  I want to make sure the teacher knows I did assign it.  Then the high schoolers have to decide whether they are going to work on it during class period.  

After the assignment is given, the students' reactions are varied.  Some will work on that assignment the whole class period.  Some will start working on that assignment but will end up working on another class assignment.  Some will not work on any assignment and will just sit there and talk.  At the beginning of class, I tell them no talking.  But I have to tell you I do allow them to whisper.  It's so funny to watch.  They don't think I know they are whispering.  When I look directly at someone who is whispering, they will usually get quiet and motion for the person to whom they are whispering to get quiet also.  I never say anything to the contrary.

While they have been whispering, I have learned some interesting facts about the students and teachers.  I have learned which Bible teacher the students like best.  I have also learned the differences between the 3 Science teachers.  And I have learned which Math teacher is the best.  With each of these, the teacher that is liked the most is the one that has the most structure in their class.  

Two of the girls were talking about the Math teachers.  They say Mr. C works magic.  "As we learn a new section in Algebra, we have no clue what we're doing.  Then we learn a second new section.  We still don't know how to work Section 1 and now we have Section 2."  It continues like this until time for a test.  They come to school dreading their Algebra test that day because they don't know how to do any of the sections.  But somehow when they get the test, they know how to do every single problem.  "We don't know how Mr. C does that but he knows how to work magic somehow" is their explanation for what happens.  

I think that is very high praise for a teacher.

No comments: