Saturday, August 22, 2009

August Birthday celebration

Today was the celebration of oldest niece's birthday. She wasn't as concerned about it not actually being her birthday as her youngest sister was. Uncle John decorated the spaceship cake. I insisted on a chocolate cake so the white icing didn't go on as smooth...the chocolate cake could be seen through the icing. But she loved the cake. Youngest niece was concerned about the red 40 in the decorations but didn't have to have any.

The luncheon included grilled hamburgers & trimmings, potato salad, baked beans, fruit salad, potato chips, birthday cake & 4 different varieties of ice cream - vanilla, chocolate, cookies & cream, and black raspberry truffle. It was delicious. Youngest niece ate a cheese & lettuce sandwich b/c she doesn't care for hamburgers. She put quite a few of her mother's homemade pickles on her sandwich. Also had to have 2 tomatoes on there. The one tomato ended before her sandwich did.

We sat in our usual places. Both sets of grandparents, honorary grandparents, one set of great-grandparents, parents, 1 sister, 3 aunts, 3 uncles, 1 cousin & then 1 little brother joined us at the end of the celebration. He was very interested in what was going on. Of course everyone wanted to hold him. And most everyone was able to. He started crying at the end. I don't know if he were tired of being passed around, realized someone almost dropped him or a little of both.

While we were eating, birthday girl leaned over & whispered to me, "Aunt K, I love having birthday celebrations. Both sides of our family are able to get together & visit. That is very nice." I agreed with her that it was - albeit loud but nice. She also said, "I wish you had children." I said, "you would have some cousins to play with wouldn't you?" "Yes, " she replied, "but I would be able to come over to your house more & play on the playground." The playground to which she refers is the swing/slide set here at camp.

She told me that Grampa Larry & Gramma Jan would give her a music card - they always do. Younger sister said Grampa Larry & Gramma Jan always give something soft & cuddly. She liked every present opened. Uncle John helped her open the space Barbie which her sister gave her. Ana copied a book which Ana's mother had received as a prize for being the best speller during the school term '17-'18. Birthday girl was very appreciative of all the presents received.

This being race weekend, we were concerned that Mimi, Papaw & the rest of the gang would need more time to get to the house, but they were able to get there earlier than expected.

After we came home, John got on the lawn mower & was able to get some of the yard mowed. I tried to work on my Sunday School lesson for tomorrow - finishing touches - but fell asleep. I think I will sleep good tonight. Hopefully I won't hear the bus when it pulls in tonight. We have 3 different groups staying here while they work the races. One of the groups has a bus. It's rather noisy. Last night it pulled in around 3 - actually I guess you would say this morning. It woke me up.

Going to get to bed. Am very tired. Hopefully I will be able to stay awake in church tomorrow.

No comments: