Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Starting a New Job

I debated what to title this post...should I title it "Ask & It Will Be Given...Eventually"?  Or how about "Patience Is a Virtue"?  I even thought about "Not My Timing".  I finally settled on the above "Starting a New Job".

About 20 years ago, I had my first experience with a temp agency.  Out of desperation because substituting wasn't paying the bills, I walked into a temp agency.  The older lady was very nice and immediately placed me in a job.  The company was looking for a full-time employee so when the required number of days were completed, they hired me full time.  I could have been hired before the required number of days but there would be a buy-out fee the company would have to pay to the temp agency.  Most companies are willing to let the temp agency have their required days.  That company down-sized a few years later and since I was the last one hired into my department I was the first one to go from that department.  I was getting married in a little less than two months so didn't really look for a job until after the wedding.  I did do some more temp jobs but they were just temp jobs...moving the previous year's records to storage, etc.  

Two and a half years ago while I was subbing & before I worked at the radio station, I applied through another temp agency.  The one I had used previously was going out of business...or at least the owner wasn't pursuing jobs.  Working through this temp agency has been a little different...some may be because it's a different place but I think the majority has been the eighteen years since I last did work through a temp agency.  This agency would call when there was a potential job, ask if I were interested in the job and then set up a time for me to go interview with the company.  I had one interview shortly after applying but that was not for me.  During the next two years, I had an opportunity for at least 2 other interviews but for some reason an interview could never be set up.  I was a little disappointed but kept telling myself the Lord did not want me in that position.  Then last summer, I received THE CALL.

Very nervously I went for an interview with this company and was hired (through the temp agency) on the spot.  I started working part-time the following week so I could serve out a two week notice to the radio station.  I worked at the radio station in the afternoon so that was able to be worked out.  Ninety days after beginning temporary employment the company hired me full-time. 

Starting a new job is both exciting and scary.  There are things to be learned even if you've done similar jobs.  The computer program with which I am working is one I'm familiar with but there are still things I am learning.  Ways this company uses the program that I've not used in the other two jobs.  Learning people is also another part of a new job.  Much clarification has to go on when beginning a new job until you get some understanding what the new people mean when they say such & such.  There are still questions asked but I have learned now how to ask questions to different people.  You know you might be able to ask one person "why is the pricing different?" and they will be able to tell you...whereas another person you might have to be more specific "the pricing on line 3 on the invoice is $x more than listed on the purchase order..is it okay to go ahead with getting the invoice ready to be paid or should I wait on different pricing?".  

While I feel I have settled into this job pretty well, there are still times I feel like a newbie.  Sometimes it's something I have only done once or twice since I've been there and have to ask is this how I do this.  I have just been given another responsibility so I am having the operations manager sit beside me while I go through this new responsibility just so I get it done correctly.  I actually tried to do one of these on my own and did something incorrectly so tomorrow we will sit together and he will walk me through the process again.  I have more than one of this type of invoice to process so hopefully doing more than one will solidify the process more in my mind.

I'm also trying to remember to pray for the business, the owner and my co-workers.  I heard a speaker on the radio the other day say something to the effect what business owner wouldn't want a Christian praying for his business.  He then listed several outcomes of an employee praying for the company and I have felt compelled to pray for this company.  I have prayed for the Christian businesses for which I have worked but never had I prayed for a secular business as a whole.  I prayed for different co-workers as they had need but never a conscious effort to pray for a secular business.  Now as I lay in bed at night waiting for sleep to come either at the beginning of the night or after awakening in the middle of the night, I pray for my husband and then the company and all there.  Then if I'm still awake I pray as the Lord brings to mind.

I think I've done enough rambling for the night so will close for now.  As always thank you, my family & friends, for your prayers. 

No comments: