Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Family

As I sat in the shelter Saturday and looked around, my heart was full.  I felt at ease.  I knew I was with people who loved me.

It was our turn to host the reunion held every 3 years.  Weeks, months, years had gone into the planning.  The nights leading up to the event had been sleepless ones.  Would everything go as planned?  Would the food arrive as scheduled?  Would...?  Would...?  Would...?  But sitting there that morning, I realized it didn't matter.  If the food didn't arrive and we had to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that would be okay.  If the cake frosting melted that would be okay.  Whatever happened no one would be upset...everything would be okay.

Before I go any further let me say I do so love the aunt and uncle who have been my parents these past 39 years.  Thank you for letting me call you my parents.  I appreciate them blending us (my sister and me) into their family.  I know they love us as their own.

But yet sometimes I miss my Daddy so much.  I've often wondered why I miss him more than Mother.  Is it because I was a Daddy's girl?  Is it because I was raised by Mother's sister so still had the connection to that side of the family?  Is it a little of both?

When this reunion happens, I know I'm going to be with people who grew up knowing my Daddy.  (Daddy was 16 years younger than his brother.  He was 8 years older than his oldest nephew.)  They will be able to share stories of Daddy.  They also can tell me about Grandma and Grandpa.  Grandpa died shortly after I was born.  Grandma died when I was 3 years old.  I only have one memory of Grandma so I love hearing about them.

I love hearing that Grandpa made doughnuts.  I'm glad to find out why Grandma was in a wheelchair.  It's nice to hear Grandpa & Grandma loved their boys and their grandchildren.

This year my cousin had typed a diary that Grandma had written.  In the back she had a name index.  She put every name in the diary with a brief description of them.  If they are family the name and description is in bold print.  This is a treasure I'll enjoy for years to come.

I love all 3 families in which I was raised.  Nothing will change that.  Spending time with my birthfather's family is a special treasure - a brief glimpse into 1/2 of my DNA make-up.  The 1/2 I don't know as well.  


Max & Stasia Rose


F.T. & Neva Perry



Lessley & Theo Newland


I now have the desire to look at pictures from this weekend, read Grandma's diary, talk to my sisters and parents.  So I'll see you in another post.


No comments: