Thursday, January 31, 2013

Things Heard in the Classroom

I have finally realized why I do not really care for substituting in the high school age range.  I do not know all their names.  So if there is a discipline problem it's hard to take care of...because I don't know the name(s) of the student(s) to speak to.

Since Christmas I have spent quite a bit of time in the high school.  By the second day, I had learned all their names.  And had by the end of the first week (by the grace of God) developed some sense of respect from the students.

Last week I ended up subbing for a high school teacher.  The bell rang which signaled the start of class time.  3 boys were not cooperating.  In my sternest teacher voice I could muster by that time of day, I said "J, L & C please be seated."  I heard L reply, "Well shucks, she now knows our names!"  

As I was inwardly smiling, I thanked the Lord for allowing me to learn their names.

No comments: