Friday, May 29, 2009

How long have you been here?

This afternoon a grandmother came to register her grandson for a week of day camp. He had come one week last year. She & I chatted while she filled out the registration form.

"How long have you been here?" she asked.

I answered with "about 7 years as full-time staff but I grew up coming here to camp."

"Well this camp must be old then." That statement made me wonder how I looked!!!

I replied "this is our 72 or 73 summer to have summer camps" - I was not too good with numbers this afternoon.

"I figured it had to be old - my sister & I both came & she's 62. I remember there was a little girl (she couldn't have been older than 5 or maybe 7) who followed me around all week. When my parents came on parent day - you remember we used to have those days on Sunday, I believe, I had to explain to them who this little girl was. I think I was 10 - maybe I was only 7." She was not too good with numbers either.

Remembering the memories I have of summer camp & hearing one memory from this grandmother makes me eager for the friends & memories these campers will create this summer. I know they will have memories of silly things that happened during the week. Prayerfully they'll have memories of the staff - both full time & summer - sharing God's love with them.

No comments: